Centenary UMC added to Register in 1985
Methodist Episcopal Church, South /
Centenary United Methodist Church
Location: 702 D Ave
On National Register Since: March 1985
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South was officially organized with 24 members on Aug. 18, 1901. The congregation met in a tent at Southwest 9th and D until November when a storm destroyed the tent. So a small wooden building was built on the site and a permanent building was erected in 1904.
Three years later, the present church site was purchased but not until 1922 was the cornerstone laid and the current church constructed. Because funds for the new building were principally from those raised during the Centenary Movement in 1939, the name was changed to Centenary Methodist Church. It was altered again in 1968 when it became Centenary United Methodist Church.